Monday, May 13, 2013

Bucharest Street Photography

I treated myself to a workshop experience over the weekend.  For May 11 and 12 I joined 4 other folks in Davin Ellicson's (see his work here) company to walk some of the back streets and to see hidden treasures of Bucharest while getting tips on "street photography".  I didn't realize until we gathered and Davin started providing information that "street photography" is a separate genre of photography, catching people and events on the street in candid moments.  We learned some tips and we talked about one another's photos, but mostly we spent lots of time outside both days taking pictures.  It was warm and sunny both days - enough so that I got mildly burned - and we covered many kilometers.  I have never before taken so many pictures that I used up both camera batteries I have!  So here are some of my better efforts:



This street urchin was begging me for money.  The picture above is during the begging; below, she is posing after I gave her 1 leu.


I still like taking pictures of buildings, but I received encouragement to look for unusual perspectives or backgrounds.



Romania has very cheap Internet and yet it also has the second fastest download speeds in the world.  One way they keep it cheap is to simply string wires wherever...

I also found I liked the dappled light of certain spaces...







I learned to look for people against interesting backgrounds and to be more assertive about aiming my camera at people - preferably when they didn't see me.  I got a little better at "shooting from the hip" in order to not be so obvious about taking photos.  The next few are at the Gypsy Flower Market and then we walked on to King Carol Park.








And sometimes I couldn't help but point my camera straight up...

It was a good workshop:  I saw parts of Bucharest I'd not seen before, heard some new stories, met some interesting people, took oodles of pictures, and sharpened my eye a bit on what makes for a better photo in general and what makes for a good street photo.









7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, it definitely worth your treat! Happy for meeting you and Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that little girl was really begging: rather playing a role YOU was expecting her to do. You wanted a picture with a begging street child in Bucharest, you got it, agaist a tiny fee: it's just as simple as that.Gypsies are clever and subtle, with a high social intelligence. She decrypted you much more than you ever could decrypt her.
    Good luck and enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roumain, thank you for your comment. I appreciate your perspective and yet have been approached by begging children even when I did not have a camera with me. Sometimes I give money, sometimes food, and sometimes nothing...

      Delete
  3. I love the tree covered path and the nest of wires. You can tell careful planning was put into that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anne,

    I'm Romanian, just moved to Slovakia for a 2 years assignment here and found your blog very useful in terms of shared experiences that I could use in my own challenge in a new country :).
    I was wondering, though, why did it finish so abrupt and all of a sudden?, since the teaching was supposed to last longer. Thank you and all the good thoughts to you :).

    Mihaela.

    ReplyDelete